A Good Comic Book Resource

As I've said before, I didn't really get interested in superhero comics as a kid. Mostly I read Disney and Looney Tunes comics and comic adaptations of movies like "Star Wars". I read Mad magazine religiously too.

Anyway the point is that my knowledge of comics and their "rules" is pretty non-existent. When I decided to try and create my own graphic novel I started looking around for resources to learn more about comics and how they're put together. One great free resource I found is all the articles on Blambot.com. Nate Piekos has written a few helpful pieces, including this one on grammar in comic books, which I found pretty fascinating. I am ashamed to admit that I had no idea that comic book grammar was so regimented and specific.

And yeah, I know there are probably other schools of thought, and more than one way to do it! But what Nate says makes sense to me (and looks right) so I'll stick with it.

He also wrote an article about designing a logo for your comic that I really liked. The same advice could apply to designing any kind of logo and I found it helpful. It's not something many people write helpful advice about, and I always enjoy that kind of thing: analysis of a topic that I never thought about before.

The full page of article topics can be found here.

Blambot also offers some free comic book fonts and sells some as well. I bought the "Hometown Hero" font to use for my comic because I really don't have the patience to write out my own dialogue, it was more reasonably priced than most other font sites and because I really like the font.

Anyway, I really like the site and I found it very helpful. If you're interested in that type of thing, I hope you will enjoy it too!